Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Bull Runner Dream Marathon - My First 42K - The Will to Finish

“Marathon is a Test of Patience....“ Jim Lafferty speaking to 300 aspiring marathon runners convincing themselves they could finish the 42K mark.
I’ve seen about The Dream Marathon earlier
this year from race lists all around and me, being always wanted to expand what I have, fixed myself to run this specific race. I only started running September of last year, as I was engaged to a weight loss program in the gym. My dietitian and trainer deemed it necessary to have extended cardio work outs, so I befriended my humble treadmill at home and the de luxe treadmill in the gym. Results came and it was good and I thought to myself, I think am ready for some serious action. So I joined races. Now am a ‘Racist’---someone who runs at races. kidding. And it was fun! Checking again the website for the Dream Marathon, it was already closed…..BUT! They were still adding a hundred slots more [thinking this was really meant for me]. So I reserved and registered the day after.
Time wasn’t a valuable resource for me since I am overseeing our business operations. It was tough. I wasn’t able to attend any bull sessions or bull circles---I attended one, actually, but I made it only to the photo opps [call time is at 5am, I got in at 7:30, way to go!] so I missed valuable information about running how-to’s, nutrition, hydration, rest etc.---I was only catching up with the web, watching youtube videos and all. They were all helpful but I long to grasp the experience firsthand. After more than a month of not running, [1 week before the Dream Day], I started running again. Then 4 days before the Dream Day, I did my final long run which is not really a good idea. [it is recommended to do your final long run 3 weeks before the marathon day---data are very clear]. I only did 20K++ then hoped and prayed to make it to the finish line on the Dream Day. Then Friday came, May 21. You guessed it right! I had a hard time sleeping. I took care of business until past lunch then forced myself to sleep until 7pm. I wasn’t able to sleep. I don’t like sleeping when the sun is up and running. All I could ever think of was, what kind of trail could that be? am I gonna be there on time? Whom will I pace with?---you have to understand that I wasn’t present in any bull session so I barely recognize anyone’s face.
10PM. After closing the main store, I did my prep then off we go Nuvali. 12:30am I was there and all I can think of was ‘I need to get some rest.’ Wasn’t able to sleep since marathon runners near my parking spot was preparing their stuff and so they were all loud. 1:30am. I head straight to the starting line after 30mins of kinda-sleeping in the parking. I’ll pace with someone my pace.
I brought a pentel pen marker with me thinking I’d scribble some in my arms to motivate me and here it is: Kept asking myself whenever my legs hurt: “Jem are you giving your 100%?” Ive learned the 100% Rule from one of my mentors that if I give my 100%, I’d receive a 100%.
Great thing to see my running bud, Dhemz. I met Dhemz in one of bull clinics---one that I came very late---we were both late actually.
“Marathon is a Test of Patience....“ Jim Lafferty speaking to 300 aspiring marathon runners convincing themselves they could finish the 42K mark. “You need to walk even though you don’t feel like walking.” I’m a natural speedster. My pace increases without me noticing, only my legs know that. And some intros with Ecachos or Aifofot? The guy. I don’t know, basta he’s one of those aliens in Eateria with Grace Lee. Aifofot, I think. Funny guy with a funny suit. Then Gunstart. I was pacing with Dhemz, then I found myself pacing with the big boys: Lit, the Chi Running Guy; Miguel, the Hubby [Jaymie’s]; Jun Bisnar, the GM, and some pacemakers. I thought I’d pace with the big boys, in their 9-1 interval. I did it until 24K. First leg feels normal. Slow pace, not yet tired. But I was wondering, what wisdom will God reveal/prove in this specific race. In my first half marathon, God revealed the psychology of achievement---it doesn’t matter whether you start running slow or road rage; what matters is whether you’ll hit the finish line or not. Doesn’t really matter when you will finish, but will you finish?
I always relate my running to my career/life. I’ve seen people who are very fired up in the beginning but burning the past steps as they reach their breakthrough point---result, DNF [did not finish], they fell, they fail. In this specific race, God revealed to me to: “Run your own Pace, Finish your own Race.”
In running just like in business, I have to make the most of what I have--and to make the most of what I have, I need to be the man I need to be. Just like in scriptures: “be trusted with the small things.”
Some people start fast---that’s their pace. Some start slow and some start like a pro. That’s their pace. Still it doesn’t matter how grand your start is, what matters is how great your finish is. I started running all fired up with my ever changing pace, usually increasing---not a good idea. I see people running as if they’re being chased by a dog. Some are running chillax-ly, some are running easy---they even do some chit-chat. As I paced with Dhemz in the beginning, I was actually bored, I was like ‘hey I need some serious strides.’ Then I went on ahead and there to overtake me were the big boys. Man, this is what am talking about. Then I went with the pack. It was great to pace with them. Am actually learning about running while running.
I heard people saying that life/business/ is like a marathon. And that old adage is very much used already. Yes, and indeed life is and business is a marathon. The question is “Will you finish? Will you reach the finish line.” Life-wise, means not to die but to reach your highest potential. Business-wise, how much of an empire can you create? Ministry-wise, Will it greatly impact the next generation?
Being in business right after college, I can prove this right. Life is a marathon. How much of a person that God created you to be would you be? [grammar check, but it sounds nice! :) ] and it doesn’t matter how much your legs hurt [how much opposition/distraction you must face] but will you emerge victorious? Will you overcome?
I heard someone say, “If your legs hurt, run with your heart.”
While running with the big boys, I noticed that they really stick to their disciplines. They run exactly their intervals, take their gels on time, do water breaks at proper times. Wow. And I think any runner, pro or beginner should do the same. As for me, I don’t do that but I will have to if I wanna last. and yes, am not a virgin anymore :p …………………………………………..[marathon-wise]
I finished my First Full Marathon in 5:30 min, by the Grace of God! It was one awesome experience. Big thanks to Jaymie, The Bull Runner and the The Bull Runner Dream Team for connecting bridges between runners and goals. Kudos to the Bull Runner. did i say it was my birthday that fateful day? Finishing 42K is a perfect birthday gift. Thanks also to Maricel Laxa Pangilinan and Millet, the Boston Qualifier, for putting up with me, pacing with me encouraging me on the 31K.
Learnings:
1. BBe Certain at all times.
Remember, you registered for this certain race because you have a certain goal. To reach that certain goal, you have to be certain with your every step. Especially in your training and nutrition. 1 untimely break of not running can cause a lot of trouble. I did my Final Long Run 6 days before the marathon day and man, it’s never advisable since it takes 3 weeks for recovery.
2. RRun at Your Own Pace.
Some runners may have started fast or some may have started easy, no worries, never compare yourself to others. Listen to your body. You have your own pace, run at your own trained pace or it will backfire on you in the final stretches. That’s what happened to me when I paced with the big boys. Once again, Never compare yourself to others, you have our own battles to win.
3. AAlways Finish What You Started.
You’re in that race because you signed up and challenged yourself. If in the middle of the race and you got some delaying strikes [injuries, exhaustion], still, Run the Race. Running is not a sport, it’s a state of mind. You’re not a failure. Forget about that DNF thing, you shouldn’t be thinking about that. Doesn’t matter if you came in last as long as you finished. Next time, am sure you’ll set a new PR.
4. RReinforce your Physiological Needs.
Running long distance may require your full energy. Be one with it. Take things seriously. Take your meds on time, eat a balanced diet also on time. You need to be flexible. Sleep well, rest well. You need to be in a very conditioned state before fighting one of your biggest battles. And the most exciting thing. Don’t forget to carboload 2 days before the race.
5. EEndurance is Key
Work on your endurance and build up your stamina. You need reinforced stamina to endure long distance running. I take stamina boosters, Cordymax, as part of my everyday nutrition. As a result, I don’t get tired much. My heart pumps normally with a slight interval increase. Same thing in business, it’s not the size of the enterprise that matter, what counts is strength.

*Looking forward to 34th National Milo Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment